Most of the products we sell are eligible for VAT exemption. VAT relief is applied to any product that is designed to assist people with a chronic illness or disability, and it does not matter whether you are buying the product for yourself or for somebody you care for, the VAT can be excluded. So there is no need to claim back the VAT from the Government, we remove it when you buy,
The Government’s official advice page on VAT relief states:
For VAT purposes, you’re disabled or have a long-term illness if:
- you have a physical or mental impairment that affects your ability to carry out everyday activities, for example blindness
- you have a condition that’s treated as chronic sickness, like diabetes
- you’re terminally ill
You do not qualify if you’re elderly but able-bodied, or if you’re temporarily disabled.
So, unfortunately if you are elderly but without a registered medical condition, you are not eligible for VAT relief.
How Does It Work?
For any product that is eligible for VAT exemption we don’t add the VAT automatically at check out. When you make a purchase you just need to select a medical condition from the drop down box (if your condition is not listed you can choose “other”) – it is that simple. Remember, the product and your disability have to qualify.
Here’s how it looks on the checkout pages:
Some items that we sell are not exempt from VAT, such as batteries (consumables are not VAT exempt), lighting and bulbs, exercise equipment and warranty protection.
Which Conditions are Covered?
If you have any of the following conditions you are definitely exempt from VAT – this list is not comprehensive though, which is why we also include “other”:
- Ankylosing Spondylitus
- Cerebellum Ataxia
- Cerebral Palsy
- Cerebral Vasculitis
- Chronic Arthritis
- Degenerative Spine
- Fucntional Movement Disorder
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Partially Sighted
- Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Respiratory Failure
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Spina Bifida
Huge Discounts Available
It is your responsibility to accurately inform us of your condition at the checkout stage, whether you do this online, over the phone or in a showroom. Huge discounts are available so it is definitely worth making he most of this opportunity – here’s some examples:
- Corvus Rapide 8mph Mobility Scooter – £2398.80 > £1999 with VAT Relief = saving of £399.80
- Dorchester 4-Motor Riser Recliner – £1798.80 > £1499 with VAT Relief Vat = saving of £299.80
- CareCo Aquabathe Bath Lift – £1198.80 > £999.00 with VAT Relief = saving of £199.80
Watch our video to learn more:
You can also get VAT relief on some home improvements you may carry out to better cater for a medical condition, disability or mobility issue.
• LinkedIn profile.
Latest posts by Jon Wade (see all)
- The Lightest Wheelchair and Mobility Scooter Access Ramps in the UK - December 5, 2019
- Raising Awareness of Hidden Disabilities - December 3, 2019
- CareCo Glasgow Delivery Van Takes The Ferry To Dunoon - November 29, 2019